Thursday, November 1, 2007

No Brownie Points

I've been looking forward to driving across the new Biloxi-Ocean Springs bridge for 26 months. But because of Wayne Brown, the Southern District of Transportation Commissioner, wanting to be re-elected, ordinary citizens like myself must wait until around 7:00pm to be able to drive across the bridge. I can understand the first responders, the antique cars, etc being allowed to go across first. What I can't understand is why the ribbon cutting couldn't be done around noon.

This bridge marks a major, major sign of progress and yet the people the bridge is intended for seem to be left out of the loop. I wanted to take a victory lap with others along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. And I still will but it will not be the same at night. When crossing the Bay St Louis bridge on the day it opened, you could see the smiles on the faces of the other drivers. Even being inside cars, the joy could still be shared.

Others I've spoken with said wait until Friday but that would not be the same.

Perhaps Brown scheduled it this way his books produced at taxpayers expense will be distributed.

MDOT has done a remarkable job in getting both bridges open ahead of schedule. There is no denying that fact. But today, I'm left with a bitter taste in my mouth because of the way this opening has been scheduled.

And it is something I'll remember come election day this Tuesday.

Update: I was able to listen to most of the ceremonies and was able to watch the wreath ceremony and the ribbon tying ceremony thanks to WLOX while at work. It was beautiful.

No comments: