Sunday, November 4, 2007

Hurricane Katrina: Kessler Air force Base-Biloxi

I could never picture Kessler Air Force Base being under water during Hurricane Katrina. I knew the hospital at Kessler was heavily damaged as was the Commissary. But I still couldn't picture it in my mind. Since my Dad had been in the Navy, I had base privileges until I turned 18. Kessler Air Force Base was familiar to me. Even after watching the video below, it is still hard to believe:




The Commissary has been demolished and it will be rebuilt in another location. The hospital has reopened but still not at full capacity. The video briefly shows Larcher Chapel. That is were my congregation has been having Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur services since Hurricane Katrina.

A lot of the base housing was damaged and had to be demolished. New housing is going up.

I believe the plane that is in the video is one of the ones that used to line Larcher Ave. and was not in service.

No comments: