Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Impressions

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.


I've been very impressed with the way Obama has been running his campaign. I've been embarrassed at the tactics of Clinton's campaign. She and her campaign staff go around the country spreading negative vibes. In other words, she is a divider. Geraldine Ferraro's comments that Obama would not be in the running if he were white is an unfair attack.

Obama has support among blacks and whites because he hasn't sought the divide and conquer route of Clinton.

Clinton and her campaign spew negativity. And at one time, I actually thought I might be able to vote for her. But that was early in the nomination process when it looked as if Huckabee might win the Republican nomination.

I'm drawn to Obama's ideas of having a more transparent government. The posting at a web-site of earmarks and all government spending sounds like a very good idea. I am troubled by his lack of experience and the advisers he has chosen for foreign policy. I need to further study his proposals on tax issues.

Every time I try to focus on Clinton, all that comes forth is this shrill ringing in my ears. She claims to have foreign policy experience. But I don't consider pillow talk with her husband as qualification for foreign policy or domestic policy for that matter. I remember her leading the charge for health care coverage when her husband was president. I don't remember too much about her plan. I do remember how she tried to ramrod it without explaining in detail how it was supposed to work. It was almost like she was trying to say trust me. Problem is I didn't trust her then. And I don't trust her now.

All in all, my decision of who to vote for in the November elections for president will not be based on who has the best sound-bite. It will be based on the candidates stances on issues and on the candidates experience. And as it stands, McCain will be my choice.

But I'm troubled by reports of McCain's hot temper. But his decades of experience should temper that. I will have to go with the elder even though I like Obama's charisma.

No comments: