Friday, August 15, 2008

29 Years

The City of Gulfport has been very fortunate that its police force acts in a professional manner. It is also very fortunate that it has been 29 years since a Gulfport police officer was killed while on duty. Yesterday, a motorist ended that remarkable streak when she struck the motorcycle Lt. Rob Curry was riding.


The area is heavily congested and people tend to take chances when even the tiniest gap in traffic occurs. Accidents occur frequently. The stretch of Highway 49 from Airport Road to St Charles Street is jammed with businesses and motorists. People take chances and accidents occur frequently.

Motorcyclists are extremely vulnerable. People tend not to notice them even in the best of circumstances.

The City of Gulfport mourns the loss of Lt. Lt. Rob Curry. May his family and friends be comforted.

2 comments:

Eve said...

That is my post office. When I sold on Ebay, I was afraid to cross there so much. It is very dangerous.

Anonymous said...

When I have to go to that one, I take Community Road so I don't have to make that left turn. When leaving, I always go to Dedeaux Road. Did you see in the paper this morning where are they proposing to limit the number of turns on Highway 49?

I think it's a good idea. That stretch between Community Road and Dedeaux scares me and I avoid it as much as possible.