Monday, October 20, 2008

Peyton Place

The new scare word for the desperate McCain campaign is socialism. They base it on Obama's "spreading the wealth" comment when he was explaining his tax plans to "Joe the Plumber". Palin reiterated that stance. In the linked article she states that 40% of Americans pay no income tax. What about the other 60% who do?

I watched Peyton Place yesterday. It was made in 1957 and is set during World War II. It focuses on the people of the small town of Peyton Place. There are the usual characters; gossip mongers, drunkards who abuse their families, the kindly doctor, those that fear change, and many others. In Dr. McSwain's speech at the trial of Selena, he makes a stirring speech on the qualities of helping at one another. He notes that there are people who live in tar shacks on the outskirts of town and that the community needs to help them. Each in the community needs to be more open to the needs of those who live there. He notes that spreading gossip and rumors are destructive. Far from being socialistic, Dr. McSwain's words are based on sound Jewish teaching. We are to take care of the poor among us. Gossip can ruin lives.

Obama's tax plan will help 60% of those that are struggling in these times. For someone making between $20,000 to $50,000 a year. getting an additional refund of around $500 a year will help a lot. Didn't President Bush just send $300 to $600 to most taxpayers in the US? I don't remember too many calling it socialism.

Those whose taxable income is over $250,000 a year will hardly see their finances devastated by a 3% increase.

Bush's tax cuts were supposed to create new jobs. Instead, we've seen more and more jobs going overseas.

No comments: