Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chili: No Beans, No Meat

I like chili, a lot. I like made with meat so it has been absent from diet since I started keeping kosher. I made this a day or so ago and surprisingly, it reminded me of chili.

1 cup Red Inca quinoa
1 can Rotel(fresh chilies and tomatoes would even be better, 1/2 cup combined)
Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Prepare the quinoa as directed. Add the Rotel or chopped tomatoes and chilies. Top with the cheese. Makes about 4 servings

The texture of the quinoa makes this dish seem like chili. The quinoa also is a very good and tasty source of protein. It tastes much better than soy products. This is the first time I've used quinoa and when it was cooking, my stomach was rumbling and I kept checking the pot to see if was finished. The aromas did not disappoint. I can't wait to try white quinoa with dried cranberries.

3 comments:

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Since you have mentioned the tradition of children asking questions in that other post: why couldn't chili contain beans, meat and still remain kosher?

P.S. Thanks for the link - reciprocated.

Anonymous said...

snoopythegoon,

Good question! It is a three hour trip for me to buy kosher meat, so I've been using soy based products as a meat substitute. Also, I'm kinda of bored with kidney beans, pinto beans, lima beans, etc, etc, etc. Hence the trying out of new ideas and combinations. Before Pesach, I posted a recipe for salmon and mangos.

And you're welcome.

Anonymous said...

ewww beans. They normally taste like flour or slime.