Thursday, December 13, 2007

Observations

The past couple of weeks have been interesting. There is a paucity of Jewish things you can buy along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I had written before about my quest to find a Magen David necklace. One jewelry store had two! I finally ordered one on-line and started wearing it a few weeks ago.

Wal-mart has five shelves that are about 3 feet wide where kosher food items can be found. They also have Shabbat and Hanukkah candles! Winn-Dixie sells Challah! They are also promoting kosher food items that are available. None of the stores here sell kosher meats. I'm learning the joys of cooking with soy products like Boca's ground meat substitute.

During Hanukkah, when someone would wish me a Merry Christmas, I would respond with Happy Hanukkah. Fortunately, my experience was a lot better than this guy's. You would think people in Mississippi would be more prejudiced about things like that than some in New York. Mississippi: The Progressive State!!

One of the newer experiences I had this year was a search for Hanukkah cards. The only stores they could be found were at Wal-greens. I make an effort to thank the store's managers. And in doing so has led to some interesting encounters. Mostly, people are curious. One asked how to make a Star of David using strings of lights.

Lately, a lot of people have asked what do I do on Christmas. After watching the video below I first saw at Mark's: I now say, "Eat Chinese and go to the movies".



I'll do just what I did last year as well: go and take pictures.

1 comment:

Deadman said...

Thanks for the link love! I thought this was a scream!!!