Friday, July 11, 2008

Leaning Toward Orthodoxy

Hirhurim Musings has a very interesting series on Why People Become Orthodox. He asked several Conservative and Reform rabbis to give their their opinion. Rabbi Elliot Cosgrove explains it thus:

Why do the finest products of the Conservative Movement trend towards Modern Orthodoxy?

In a word: Community.

As Conservative Jews, our deserved pride in Schechter Schools, Ramah Camps and USY programs should not blind us from recognizing our inability to translate those energetic experiences into urban and suburban Jewish life and learning. It is not at all surprising that observant Jews seeking a Shabbat community opt out of their denominational label when it comes to establishing their own homes. As is the right of any consumer, they are simply choosing to express their observance in a context more suitable to their tastes, and are taking their business elsewhere.


His views reflect a lack of spirituality. By suggesting the desire to live a life of mitzvot is akin to buying to a television set makes it seem like it is a business transaction which anyone has the choice of leaving. To me, living the mitzvot is not a choice. It is increasingly becoming a part of my being. You can leave behind a television set but you cannot leave behind who you are. I'm still learning and am still trying to incorporate what I learn. But it is bothersome at times to be part of a Conservative community which thinks it strange that one keeps Shabbat, kashrut, and other mitzvot.

I've been contemplating leaving my hometown in order to join a community in which those who are observant do not stick out like a sore thumb. But I love this small community to which I belong. Do I continue to suggest ideas like Shabbat Tish in which we have community Shabbat meals and learn zemirot and hope for more response? During Torah study, do I continue to relate my experiences with the beauty of observing Shabbat and kashrut?

Basically, it comes down to this: Do I stay or do I go? And if I do decide to go, where? I've been looking at New Orleans, Houston, Mobile, and Atlanta.

2 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

Small communities always present some challenges, but the bigger ones have their own set too.

Anonymous said...

Part of my wanting to leave has to do with Hurricane Katrina. Even almost 3 years later, some days(very few!), I still find myself crying. It's part of the post-traumatic stress all of us down here are feeling.

It is starting to get much better. Since the new zoning laws and the FEMA flood maps have come out, there is a lot more construction going on.

I can't help but feel as though I need to escape. My congregation is filled with some of the nicest and most helpful people.

Hopefully, soon, very soon, I can post some pictures of the ground-breaking for our new shul. I think that is another part of the problem for me. Space is still so very limited and we are still holding Shabbat services in a meeting hall of a Methodist church and we'll have the High Holy Day Services at one of the Keesler Air Force Base chaples .

We need our new shul built speedily. One positive thing coming out of the delay, last year construction costs were estimated to be $300/square foot. This year, they are right at $100/square foot.