Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Going Forward

I discussed some of the problems I was having with Rabbi Myrna Matza. It did a world of good. It has led to me being asked by our congregations ritual committee to the contact for the National Jewish Outreach Program. I'm excited for numerous reasons. The first thing we're going to do is Shabbat Across America which will be on March 20, 2009. I've shared a few ideas on leading up to it but some will have to wait until our new shul is built.

And that brings me to some very good news. After the first plans were drawn up and bids came in more than double than what was expected, the building committee came up with different plans. We have new plans. We have a contractor. And it will have almost as much room as the first plans. And it is will within our budget!

Construction is expected to start in September of this year, one month after the 3 year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. The contractor estimates it will take anywhere from 6 to 9 months to build, so it is possible that we can be in our new shul in time for Passover next year.

Since I live about a five minute walk from the new shul, I'll post pictures of the construction. For now, this one will have to do:

2 comments:

SusQHB said...

Hi there,
I work at NJOP and believe I spoke to someone from your synagogue last week. May have been you. Great blog! Its like mine with Jewish and secular stuff throughout. Call or email me to discuss other programs you may want to run at the shul. 800-448-6724 or susanne at njop.org. Ask for Susanne. Take care.

Anonymous said...

It was me!. We had a board meeting and I presented the info on Shabbat Across America and was then asked to be the contact. This was after I had spoke with you.