Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Edition

Yesterday, I held a great big pity party of one. It's been a rough couple of weeks. I had to get two new tires for my car. The last of the doctor bills have come in for my son. Because of this, I wasn't able to make the trip to New Orleans to buy a kosher turkey. Instead, our feast will consist of the traditional Thanksgiving lox. I was a pitiful sight yesterday. Today, I woke happy.

I realized overnight that it isn't the turkey that makes it Thanksgiving. It is family and friends. I realized how much I have to be thankful for. The bills will eventually get paid. I have food on the table. I have a home. I have family that love me in spite of my contentious nature. I have friends that send me emails and notifications at Facebook just when I seem to be the most down. How do they know? They're friends, they just know.

Today, this is what I'm most thankful for. I'm thankful to live in a country that offers the freedom of religion to all. I'm thankful that I live in a country that has looked past the color of a person's skin and has judged on character and elected Obama. I'm thankful that even in these difficult financial times, the United States still has a wealth that towers over all.

I'm thankful that I live in a country where some see opportunities to start new businesses. I'm thankful to live a country that is so generous. Even as people have to tighten their belts, there are news reports that food banks for the poor are seeing an increase in donations of food. I'm glad that I live in a country where people are not only being angels to children during this time but to the elderly as well. Walgreens in Biloxi has an angel tree for the elderly. I'm thankful that I live in a country where people are willing to give up their time to help their neighbors in need. I've stated many times before, after Hurricane Katrina, the Mississippi Gulf coast saw another surge. This surge was more massive and potent than Katrina's record breaking 28 feet guestimated by NOAA(it is closer to 40 feet). This surge consists of those who opened their wallets and donated record-breaking amounts. This surge consists of those who volunteered and cooked and drove the Salvation Army and Red Cross food vans. This surge consists of those who came to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and worked shoulder to shoulder with us clearing out mold infested sheet rock. It consists of those who came here and worked shoulder to shoulder with us clearing our streets one block at a time. It consists of those who came down here and are still coming over 3 years later, who are working shoulder to shoulder with us in raising up new homes. They swing their hammers with us.

This the real America. It consists of Christians, Jews, Muslims, other religions, and atheists working side-by-side to help one another. This real America also consists of the vast numbers of college-aged and high school kids who have come down and are still coming to help us rebuild.

Thank you G-d. Thank you to my family and friends. Thank you America.

No comments: