Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Strays

Yesterday was one of those hectic days at work. I decided to go to the D'Iberville Marina with the intention of taking a 30 minute photo break and then coming back and eat the lunch I brought. Instead, I spent nearly 45 minutes trying to entice a beautiful little calico kitten. The kitten ate some chips I had brought with me but still would not let me get closer than 3 feet. I made a cat toy from discarded fish line and pipe cleaners and tried to edge closer but as soon as I moved closer than 3 feet, back it went under the pier.

I was relieved to learn that the kitten was feed every day. I was also told the kitten would maintained the 3 foot barrier even with the kind person who has been feeding it every day for the past month. I had planned to take it some food later. We have a bag of cat food at work that we used for a momma cat and two little kittens. She left with her babies after a few days. I guess all the people going into and out of the offices spooked her.

Like I said, my intention was to take the kitten some food after I got off work. It was a very hectic day and I didn't leave work until after 6 and I decided I would until today to go. Someone else was feeding it.

On my way home, I saw a homeless man walking down the road. He looked like he was about to pass out from the heat. I swung back around and went back to the office and grabbed a coke, two bottles of water, and the lunch I didn't get to eat. I normally don't do this but the man looked so pitiful. I parked my car and walked up to him and asked if he needed any water. He said yes. I took the water to him and then asked if he would like some food. He said it had been a few days since he had anything to eat. He had a medical bracelet on. I gave him the food and the coke and then left.

On the way home, I cried most of the way because I realized I had just feed a human being like I would have a stray cat or dog. It made me somewhat ashamed that there are fellow Americans who have no homes, no food, and cannot find a job.

No comments: