Thursday, June 19, 2008

You've Come Along Way "Baby"

The first computer I used was TRS-80. Biloxi High School purchased them for computer science classes. We learned BASIC programming and for our final exam, each had to write a program to help other students having trouble in algebra. I choose to do mine on quadratic equations. I still have a copy somewhere. I should try to run it on the 1981 IBM PC someone gave me about ten years ago. The one I have has both a 5 1/2 and 3.5 floppy drive!!! Someone gave me a copy of Windows Version 1. Both the computer and the software I was able to find for it are a far cry from today's computers.

Even as primitive as the first IBM PCs appear by comparison to the computer of today, the forerunners seem prehistoric.

BBC has a recording of one of the earliest computers, "Baby", playing songs. The pictures of "Baby" and the recorded songs show just how far computers have come.

No comments: